We spend a large amount of our lives in the kitchen. According to the Department for Education, women spend around eighteen hours a week in the kitchen, men even more. Its no wonder, then, that we spend so much money on updating the kitchen. We get bored of looking at the same old things day in day out, and so we change things.
More information can be found at: proposehome.com
Who can blame us? We get tired of using the same old cookers, using the same old dishes, looking out the same old windows. If youre getting bored of those same-old windows, you might be wondering what you can do about it. Well, here are some ways to update your kitchen windows instantly.
1. Tea-towel curtains. Got any old tea-towels lying in the bottom drawer? Well, heres how you can put them to good use. Tea towel curtains are a cheap and easy way to revamp the kitchen and keep out sunlight. All you need are two pairs of normal tea-towels, a tension rod, and a sewing kit.
2. Wrought iron scrollwork. Want to make your windows look a bit classier? No problem. I have just the solution for you. Three words: wrought iron scrollwork. Scrollwork looks ornate and can give a bland window that much-needed home-made look. Its surprising how much a simple scrollwork can refresh a tired old window.
3. Window valance. Valances are borders of fabric covering the upper part of the window. They are commonly used to conceal curtain fittings, but can be used without curtains. Very popular in Victorian times, they can add a certain regal quality to a room, which may look rich when used in excess. So, make sure to use them tastefully and not overuse themunless, that is, your house is regal enough to handle them.
4. Wreaths. Even when its not Christmas, you might want to think about hanging a wreath on your window. Wreaths are fresh and natural-looking, and might serve to freshen up an otherwise lifeless window.
5. Café style shutters. Café style shutters are (as the name suggests) shutters like the ones you find in cafés. They only cover the bottom half of the window. If you want your windows to look sophisticated and continental, like windows from a Parisian café, then café style shutters are definitely for you.
Well there you go. Those are five exciting window treatments to help turn your boring old windows into visual delights. Just remember: you can do a lot with a little. Whether its an old tea-towel or a little wreath, something small can make a big difference to the general ambience of the kitchen. If youre going to spend eighteen hours a week there, you might as well revamp it every once in a while. Your eyes can only put up with so much sameness. So, make the little changes and see what difference it makes. It might even have a positive effect on your mood.